Interested in becoming a member:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Be able to respond to Fire Department alarms day and night.
- Possess the following Abilities: Learn the operation of fire suppression and other emergency equipment.
~ Learn to apply standard firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials, and fire prevention techniques.
~ Perform strenuous or peak physical effort during emergency, training, or equipment maintenance activities for prolonged periods of time under conditions of extreme heights, intense heat, cold, or smoke.
~ Act effectively in emergency and stressful situations.
~ Follow verbal and written instructions.
~ Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
~ Establish effective working relationships with co-workers, other agencies, and the general public.
- Be able to meet the physical demands described below:
~ While performing the duties of this job, the member is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The member is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel crouch, or hear; and taste or smell.
~ The member must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Have a current driver’s license valid in South Dakota.
- Pass a background investigation.
- Consent to a drug screening, upon request.
- Become a certified Firefighter by the South Dakota Firefighters Association within 12 months.
- Attend Fire Department meetings and training.
- Show a genuine interest in fire suppression and the Fire Department in general.